Vulcan Black Stoneware (Fine)
Vulcan Black Stoneware (Fine) 1200-1240C
Vulcan™ Black Stoneware (Fine) 164-VUF: Recommended 1200-1240C
Vulcan Black Stoneware is unlike any other on the market, providing an unusual intense brown-black colour when fired in an oxidising atmosphere. In a reducing atmosphere a metallic finish with shades of blue is obtained (Note: Too-heavy reduction will cause bloating).
Containing 40% fine grog (up to 80 mesh), Vulcan Black Stoneware Fine has been formulated for artistic ceramics. It behaves excellently during drying/firing and its high plasticity makes it ideal for modelling. It is widely used for murals and sculpture and is ideal for detailed work. Supplied in a 12.5kg bag.
Vulcan Black Stoneware (Fine) 164-VUF is suitable for tableware (food-safe), according to ISO 6486 when fired as recommended (less than 3% porosity).
- Firing range: Cone 5-6 (2205º-2269ºF)
- Biscuit: Cone 06 (1855ºF)
- Water content: 21%
- Plasticity (IP Atterberg): 22
- Carbonate content (CaCO3): 0%
- Drying shrinkage: 7.0%
- Firing shrinkage at Cone 6: 7.1%
- Porosity (water absorption) at Cone 6: 1.3%
- Dry bending strength: 4.6 N/mm2
- Fired bending strength at Cone 6: 33.3 N/mm2
- Thermal coefficient (a25-500ºC): 51.1x10-7ºC-1